While we vouch for real homemade mayonnaise over highly processed store-bought dressings any day. A traditional Caesar dressing can leave some people feeling heavy, often preferring to opt for the dressing on the side or passing on the salad all together.
Refrain no more, this lovely light and creamy yogurt-based Caesar dressing alternative has all the richness and flavour of the classic, plus the added benefits of gut-loving probiotic bacteria. It’s so much healthier than anything store-bought and quicker to make than the traditional egg and oil emulsion. With this one, you simply add all the ingredients into the Vibe Blender jug and blitz for 20 seconds. Once you try this, you may never care for the original again.
Toss the dressing generously in crisp cos lettuce, homemade garlicky croutons and flaky Parmesan cheese for a delicious, lightened-up Caesar salad and feel the difference. Turn it up a notch by adding your choice, or, all 3 of these protein options – bacon, boiled egg, or chicken. With all that homemade yogurt in the dressing you can be sure you’re getting lots of good microbes and a nutritious balanced meal with whichever you choose to add in.
Caesar salad also makes a great meal prep option for the days ahead. No one wants a soggy salad for lunch, so using the right storage containers is essential. Either store all the components separately in Luvele glass vacuum containers or prepare 4 individual salads in the 1.3L containers, keeping the dressing in a separate container until you are ready to eat it to avoid disappointment.
1 cup homemade yogurt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 anchovy fillets
1 teaspoon of honey (or more to taste)
2 teaspoons Dijion mustard
1 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2-3 slices bread, (any bread, including stale or GF)
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
Cos lettuce, (1 large, 2 medium, or 3 small)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved.
150g / 5oz bacon
2 - 3 boiled eggs, cooked to your liking, peeled, and halved (optional)
2 chicken breast fillets (optional).
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all the dressing ingredients in the Vibe Blender jug, adding the yogurt first.
2. Blend on ‘smoothie’ mode for 20-30 seconds
3. Taste test. Add more lemon juice, honey, or salt. Initially the anchovies dominate but after a few hours in the fridge the flavours meld and balance.
4. Transfer to a glass vacuum seal container or glass jar with air-tight seal and store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Note, separation may occur when stored in the fridge, so stir well before using.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and line a tray with baking paper.
6. Cut the bread into 2cm cubes. We leave the crusts on but it’s up to you.
7. Place the bread on the tray, add the crushed garlic, olive oil and salt then toss to coat.
8. Bake for 10-15 mins or until golden and crisp, then set aside to cool.
9. The croutons can be made ahead of time and stored in the pantry in a glass vacuum seal container for up to a week.
10. Wash, dry and chop the lettuce.
11. Cook the bacon, let cool, then slice into pieces. Squares or strips – you decide.
12. Optional: Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally so you have four thin fillets. Season both sides with salt and pepper then cook in the bacon fat remaining in the pan. Cook each side for approx. 4 mins. Slice into the thickest part to check if it is done. Any sign of pink, leave it on for longer. Remove and cover. The chicken may be served warm or cold.
13. Assembly: Place the lettuce in a large salad bowl (or portion into containers). Pile on the croutons, parmesan, and bacon, then toss the salad so the components are evenly distributed through the leaves.
14. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad just before serving then toss again to coat.
15. Transfer to serving bowls. Top with sliced chicken and egg if using, then drizzle with extra dressing.